American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Bactria or its people, language, or culture.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Bactria.
- n. The Middle Iranian language of the Bactrians, known from scattered inscriptions and legal documents extending into the Islamic period.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Bactria or Bactriana, an ancient country of central Asia, with its capital, Bactra, on the site of the modern Balkh. It became a province of the Persian empire under Cyrus. and from about 255 to about 126 b. c. was a separate kingdom under a Greek dynasty.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Bactria.
- n. The language of Bactria.
- n. countable A person of Bactria.
- n. uncountable An extinct Eastern Iranian language which was spoken in the Central Asian region of Bactria, also called Tocharistan, in northern Afghanistan.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to Bactria in Asia.
“The team rushed to deliver the artifacts, which became known as the Bactrian Gold, to the National Museum in Kabul.”
“She called her Bactrian eunuch and her ladies, threw on a veil, brushed past the stunned Nubian giant who guarded the harem, and only answered his shrill cries with, "I must see the King.”
“Kharo [s.] [t.] h [= i] numerals were formerly known as Bactrian, Indo-Bactrian, and Aryan.”
“The so-called Bactrian Hoard, one of the greatest archeological finds of the 20th Century, is the heart of the trove, discovered accidentally in 1978 by Russian archeologist Viktor Sarianidi, Hiebert's mentor.”
“There are two species of camel: the Arabian and the Bactrian.”
“With his Sogdian cavalry and hundreds of Scythian allies, he attacked one of the Bactrian forts and caught the Macedonian defenders completely off guard.”
“His Bactrian bride Roxane was pregnant, he hoped with a boy, though the child would not be of age for many years to come even if the Macedonians would accept a half-barbarian ruler on the throne.”
“You can deal with Bessus now or later, but unless you want to see your families slaughtered in their beds by hordes of Bactrian cavalry, you had better finish it now.”
“Alexander could see the legendary Bactrian horsemen facing his right along with other riders from central Asia commanded by Bessus.”
Looking for tweets for Bactrian.