from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Barbarossa 1 European name for Khair ed-Din. Died 1546. Greek-born Turkish corsair who with his brother Arouj (died 1518) ravaged the coasts of Spain, Italy, and Greece.
- See Frederick I.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A nickname of several historical characters
- proper n. Operation Barbarossa The nickname of the Nazi invasion of Russia in World War II
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Holy Roman Emperor from 1152 to 1190; conceded supremacy to the pope; drowned leading the Third Crusade (1123-1190)
- n. Barbary pirate (died in 1546)
Italian barba, beard + rossa, red (Wiktionary)