American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Belgium or the Belgians.
- adj. Of or relating to the Belgae.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Belgæ, who in Cæsar's time possessed the country bounded by the Rhine, the Seine, the North Sea, the Strait of Dover, and the English Channel. They were probably of mixed Teutonic and Celtic origin. At the time of Cæsar's invasion tribes of Belgæ were found in southern Britain, whose connection with the continental Belgæ is disputed.
- Pertaining to Belgium.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Belgae, a German tribe who anciently possessed the country between the Rhine, the Seine, and the ocean.
- adj. obsolete Of or pertaining to the Netherlands or to Belgium.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the
Belgæ, a German tribe who anciently possessed the country between the Rhine, the Seine, and the ocean.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Netherlands or to Belgium.
- Latin Belgicus, from Belgae the Belgians. (Wiktionary)
“Some have even thought that "Belgic" tribes, whether in Gaul or Britain, spoke Teutonic dialects; but it is safer to believe from the combined evidence of place names and of later traditions, that there was a real change in the common talk of most men within a march of the eastern sea or the estuaries of its rivers.”
“This means that every theological student will be shaping their faith in light of not only the Heidelberg, the Belgic and the Canons of Dort, but also the Belhar Confession.”
“The camp had been attacked by the Nervii, a Belgic tribe, and was saved only by the appearance of Caesar leading several legions to the rescue.”
“Celtic, the Belgic, and the Aquitanic Gaul, each of which spoke a different jargon.”
“But before she went to join her husband in the Belgic capital,”
“Belgic and other Brythonic migrations (300150 B.C.E.) probably in the southeast.”
“Belgic Confession,  379,  490 belief and aesthetic factors,  306 -  308”
“In 1898 the Belgic expedition became the first to winter in the pack ice.”
“As T.H. Baughman put it in his book Before the H.roes Came, "The Belgic expedition was a fugue in seven voices.”
“Seutonius wrote of me that I was the Brittano-rum Rex - the king of all Britain - the greatest of the Belgic kings.”
‘Belgic’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Belgic.