from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The beltway surrounding Washington, D.C.
- n. The political establishment of Washington, D.C., including federal officeholders, lobbyists, consultants, and media commentators.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A 64-mile Interstate freeway surrounding Washington, D.C..
- proper n. The expressway that surrounds another city.
- proper n. The US federal government and policy and lobbying organizations, located in Washington, D.C..
- adj. Of or relating to the culture of Washington, D.C.; politicized.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
YELLIN: It will get a huge ride inside what we call Beltway High School, all those -- the (INAUDIBLE) who occupy all of our positions.
“It has been just under 100 days since Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was inaugurated as Vice President, and yet he already seems to be making his mark as Vice President, if only on a subject nobody in the Beltway is paying attention to,” says Tiny Mix Tapes.
It has become an article of faith among certain Beltway inside-game commentators that there's no way the Dem attack on secret money funding elections could ever have a prayer of working.
In the meantime, democracy promotion inside the Beltway is nothing more than a small time rent-seeking operation.
The next section to the east, between Colesville Road and the Capital Beltway, is a candidate for resurfacing under the capital budget starting in mid-2011.
The Beltway is a wall separating government from businesses and citizens.
Like pitz, what goes on inside the sacred ring known as the Beltway is a fight to the death between two opposing teams.
It will merely reinforce what I call the "Liz Sidottiness" of certain Beltway types.
Today the Web offers terrific, non-partisan sources of voter information that allow users to do an end-run around newscycles that spend their time calling Beltway horseraces and pitting op-ed versus op-ed.
In any case, according to this Associated Press story a bald eagle dubbed George nesting along the Beltway is now struggling to raise a family on his own after losing his mate, Martha (of course), who was attacked by another female eagle.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.