from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An ancient region of Greece north of Attica and the Gulf of Corinth. The cities of the region formed the Boeotian League in the seventh century B.C. but were usually under the dominance of Thebes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A district of Ancient Greece, formerly renowned for the proverbial stupidity of its inhabitants.
- proper n. Now, a district in east Central Greece, situated on the peninsula, West of Euboea, North of Attica and Megaris, East of Phokis. Its present-day capital of the prefecture is Levadeia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a district of ancient Greece northwest of Athens.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a district of ancient Greece to the northwest of Athens
On page 5, in the word Boeotia, the oe ligature has been expanded to the two characters, oe.
South of Phocis is Boeotia, which is a large hollow basin, enclosed on every side by mountains, which prevent the waters from flowing into the sea.
The scene of the play is laid in Boeotia which is represented to be ruled by a duke, but in a state of confusion and disorganisation ....
In fact, among the most warlike city-states of ancient Greece, such as Boeotia, Sparta and Crete, pederasty was common among the warriors.
From there they advanced south through the pass at Thermopylae and across Boeotia to the outskirts of Thebes.
A/N: The romance kicks up between Jack and Andromeda, Cassi is recovering from her bite wound, no pack appearance at all, and Dare, Mars, and Tegan arrive on the planet Boeotia.
Hesperia 9 (1940): 381 – 514; Excavations at Eutresis in Boeotia (1931); Excavations at Gozlu Kule Tarsus (1962).
Since 1984, she has been a curator in Euboea, running and publishing the results of numerous excavations on the island, as well as in Skyros and east Boeotia.
Did Thucydides have a network or agents stationed along the border between Attica and Boeotia for ten years counting the fugitives as they sneaked across?
Boeotia itself by the Aones and Temmices and Hyantes.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.