from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A narrow strait separating European and Asian Turkey and joining the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara. It has been an important trade route since ancient times.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Alternative spelling of Bosphorus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A strait or narrow sea between two seas, or a lake and a seas.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strait or channel between two seas, or between a sea and a lake.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a strait connecting the Mediterranean and the Black Sea; separates the European and Asian parts of Turkey; an important shipping route
Sorry, no etymologies found.