American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A narrow strait separating European and Asian Turkey and joining the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara. It has been an important trade route since ancient times.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strait or channel between two seas, or between a sea and a lake. More particularly applied as a proper name to the strait between the sea of Marmora and the Black Sea, formerly the Thracian Bosporus, and to the strait of Yenikale, or Cimmerian Bosporus, which connects the sea of Azov with the Black Sea.
- n. alternative spelling of Bosphorus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A strait or narrow sea between two seas, or a lake and a seas.
- n. a strait connecting the Mediterranean and the Black Sea; separates the European and Asian parts of Turkey; an important shipping route
“The name Bosporus was properly applied to the long narrow channel, now called the Straits of Kaffa or Yenikalé, which unites the Black Sea and the Mæotis or Sea of Azoff.”
“The Bosporus is a link between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea.”
“The city has been magical for centuries, straddling the beautiful waterway known as the Bosporus, with one foot in”
“His personal library already boasts a treasure trove of over 7,000 rare The city has been magical for centuries, straddling the beautiful waterway known as the Bosporus, with one foot in”
“The Bosporus is the physical and metaphorical heart of Istanbul and ferry tours are cheap and rewarding.”
“One project that will increase oil transit through the Bosporus is the Russian-backed Northern Route Export Pipeline, a 990-mile pipeline that transports oil from Kazakhstan’s Caspian Sea area oil deposits to the Russian Black Sea port of Novorossiysk.”
“She said she first experienced Hammam when her Turkish business partners put her up at the Hotel les Ottomans, a small boutique hotel on the Bosporus.”
“She added that the Trump Organization and its partners this spring will be opening matching 40-story office and residential towers on the Bosporus.”
“Mr. Erdogan, meanwhile, has been traveling from city to city promising to build tens of billions of dollars worth of so-called "crazy" projects, from a huge shipping canal to bypass the Bosporus in Istanbul, to a $100 million space research center in Ankara.”
“We passed under and around the Bosporus Bridge many times and it stood there stoically - smirking at our inability to find our way onto its tarmac.”
‘Bosporus’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Bosporus.