Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A division of the higher cryptogams, including the Hepaticœ and mosses.
- n. A taxonomic division within the kingdom Plantae — the mosses.
- n. botany, obsolete A botanical name at the rank of division or phylum including all the bryophytes (the mosses, liverworts, and hornworts).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. See cryptogamia.
- n. a division of nonflowering plants characterized by rhizoids rather than true roots and having little or no organized vascular tissue and showing alternation of generations between gamete-bearing forms and spore-bearing forms; comprises true mosses (Bryopsida) and liverworts (Hepaticopsida) and hornworts (Anthoceropsida)
- From New Latin, from Latin bryon ("moss"), from Ancient Greek βρύον (bruon, "tree-moss, oyster-green"), from βρύω (bruo, "be full to bursting, abound") + New Latin -phyta (Wiktionary)
“Between the Hepaticae, Anthocerotales, Sphagnales and Musci, there are no connecting forms known, and it must be left as an open question whether the Bryophyta are a monophyletic or polyphyletic group.”
“It remains to be considered to what extent the several natural groups of plants classed together in the Bryophyta can be placed in a phylogenetic relation to one another.”
“With regard to the relationship of the Bryophyta and Pteridophyta the article on the latter group should be consulted.”
“_ -- This small and very natural group includes the three genera _Anthoceros_, _Dendroceros_ and _Notothylas_, and stands in [v. 04 p. 0650] many respects in an isolated position among the Bryophyta.”
“In a general sense we may regard the Bryophyta as derived from an algal ancestry, without being able to suggest the nature of the ancestral forms or the geological period at which they arose.”
“The question of the relationship of the Bryophyta on the one hand to the”
“Bryophyta: Plants with very small leaves and stems, with no roots and no flowers.”
“Desmidiales, Bryophyta, Marchantiophyta, Lycopodiophyta and Tracheophyta) sequences were obtained from public databases.”
‘Bryophyta’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Bryophyta.