from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital and largest city of Egypt, in the northeast part of the country on the Nile River. Old Cairo was built c. 642 as a military camp; the new city was founded c. 968 by the Fatimid dynasty and reached its greatest prosperity under the Mameluke sultans (13th-16th century). Population: 7,790,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The capital of Egypt.
- proper n. Any of several cities and towns in the United States.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. The capital city of Egypt. It is the largest city in Africa. Population (2000) = 7,010,000.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the capital of Egypt and the largest city in Africa; a major port just to the south of the Nile delta; formerly the home of the Pharaohs
- n. a town at the southern tip of Illinois at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers
Sorry, no etymologies found.
CAIRO — None of the alarms and only seven out of 43 surveillance cameras were working at a Cairo museum where a Vincent van Gogh painting was stolen, Egypt's top prosecutor said Sunday.
BEN WEDEMAN, CNN CAIRO BUREAU CHIEF (voice-over): The man who would be president in Egypt in the defendant's cage in a Cairo courthouse.
CAIRO - The presidents of Algeria and Egypt, whose governments have been under attack by Islamic militants, ended talks in Cairo with a denunciation of terrorism.
CAIRO - Sudan has complained about Egypt to the U.N. Security Council, accusing Cairo of sending troops south of the 22nd Parallel and avoiding talks on a peaceful settlement.
CAIRO - Police in Cairo have arrested 300 suspected
CAIRO - More than 1,000 police commandos swept through Moslem militant hideouts in southern Cairo in the biggest operation this year.
CAIRO - Sudanese authorities barred two Egyptian irrigation experts from entering Khartoum and sent them back to Cairo on the same plane.
CAIRO - Two Sudanese diplomats expelled by Egypt left Cairo for
CAIRO - A group of Islamist lawyers said they have gone to court to block what they call a sinful U.N. population conference from being held in Cairo next month.
CAIRO - A bomb exploded at a Cairo bank causing no casualties and police defused two other explosive devices outside two banks in the city centre, security sources said.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.