from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Literally "universal church", the whole body of Christendom, especially before the division into Western and Eastern churches.
- n. The Roman Catholic Church, which consists of 23 particular Churches in full communion with the Bishop of Rome.
- n. Any of the independent Catholic Churches, such as the Old Catholic Church, the Polish National Catholic Church, or the Orthodox Catholic Church.
- n. Any Christian denomination that identifies explicitly as "Catholic" based on its affirmation of the Nicene Creed, such as any of the Anglican Churches.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the whole body of believers in Christ throughout the world.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several churches claiming to have maintained historical continuity with the original Christian Church
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Of course the allusion in my text is to the whole aggregate of believers -- what we call the Catholic Church, as being collectively the habitation of God.
Does the Vatican know about anti-Catholicism and anti-Semitism as a result of it, in the Catholic Church, especially in Swedish Catholic Church?
The use Owen makes of such an idea is, apparently, supposed to show what makes it impossible to say, as a matter of doctrine, whether the Roman communion aka the Catholic Church is a communio of true churches or only a facsimile thereof.
These he calls the Catholic Church and himself successor to the Apostles, terming the great majority of Roman
Proclaiming himself to be the penultimate defender of Israel and thus the Jewish people, Hagee’s motives came into public question when two his incendiary quotes surfaced; one calling the Catholic Church the “Great Whore, the other suggesting Nazis were God’s plan to corral the Jews into the biblically mandated Israeli territories in order to facilitate the Second Coming.
Kennedy attempted to ameliorate Southern Baptist opposition to his candidacy with his speech to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association where he reaffirmed his belief in the separation of church and state and pledged that no religious group in other words, the Catholic Church would receive government funds or political preference should he win the presidency.
There are more than 1.1 billion Catholics on the planet, and the Catholic Church is the largest denomination in the United States, with more than 65 million baptized members.
The Catholic Church is the largest landowner in America.
"When I was growing up, the Catholic Church was my God, and then I got to know the hierarchy better, and I disagreed with a lot of things: that priests should be celibate, that women should not be ordained," he said.
The Catholic Church is the biggest force for evil that human being have ever dreamed up ..
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.