American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An ancient city of eastern Greece. Philip of Macedon defeated a confederation of Greek states here in 338 B.C.
- n. A village in Boeotia, Greece.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Greek antiquity) either of two battles in ancient Greece, one in which Philip of Macedon defeated the Athenians and Thebans (338 BC), or another in which Sulla defeated Mithridates (86 BC).
- n. a battle in which Philip II of Macedon defeated the Athenians and Thebans (338 BC) and also Sulla defeated Mithridates (86 BC)
- From Ancient Greek Χαιρώνεια. (Wiktionary)
“Only three years earlier the Thebans had watched in horror as their army had been crushed by Philip and Alexander at Chaeronea.”
“Alexander asked her who she was and she boldly replied that she was the wife of the Theban commander who had fought his father at the battle of Chaeronea.”
“Although they had lost many of their best men at Chaeronea, they were still a proud people with an ancient military tradition.”
“In the aftermath of Chaeronea, no one dared to refuse, except for the eternally belligerent state of Sparta.”
“Chaeronea: Town in central Greece where in 338 Philip defeated the Greek forces, including the Sacred Band of Thebes.”
“Philip honored the dead of the Sacred Band by burying them on the battlefield and celebrated their courage with the towering statue of a lion that still stands in the quiet valley of Chaeronea.”
“All Athenian property and persons would be respected, while he also returned the Athenian prisoners captured at Chaeronea unharmed and without ransom.”
“We all know what happened to the Sacred Band at the Battle of Chaeronea.”
“He would equal Munophis of Elephanta if he could but get me an Indian dancing-girl, and Thygelion of Chaeronea if he could bring me a Greek courtesan; for, oh, ladies! there were Bombardas in”
“The town of Chaeronea is at the extremity of Boeotia near the territory of Phanoteus in Phocis, and some Phocians took part in the plot.”
‘Chaeronea’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Chaeronea.