American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A group of Hokan-speaking Native American peoples formerly inhabiting the southern California coastal region around and the channel islands off Santa Barbara, with a small present-day population near Santa Barbara.
- n. A member of any of these peoples.
- n. Judaism any book of the Pentateuch
- n. the Pentateuch collectively
- n. a native American tribe of southern California.
- n. The language of the tribe.
- Ineseño čʰumaš, the Island Chumash people (Wiktionary)
“It has been called "the greatest invention of the California Indians," but whether the Chumash were the tomol's inventors is now being questioned.”
“The Chumash were a highly intelligent and developed people.”
“Yiddish-accented Hebrew words and references to the "Chumash" (the bound version of the Torah, pronounced khoo-MASH) and "Halacha" (Jewish law, pronounced ha-la-KHAH).”
“They will play a unique co-ed version of lacrosse called "Chumash" which has its roots in the Native American version of the "fastest game on two feet.”
“Over the weekend, we learned the art of wood fire grilling, its roots tied to the Santa Ynez band of Chumash Native Americans, using an adjustable ironwork grill brought by the Spanish to California in the 1800s.”
“Yes, maybe this year; it will feature five centuries of culinary history, touching upon everything from the Chumash Indians to the recent Test Kitchen and an opening of Rivera downtown.”
“It was once home to the Chumash people and Spanish settlers.”
“Pilotshark Sponsored by Beoing says: geoman77 says: Chumash Casino well theres a Chumash reservation on the central coast of calif.”
“My father visited and he saw me reading from the Chumash.”
“So the usher, who was not in favor of women being involved, comes down the aisle to me, throws the Chumash at me, and says, 'Here, you do the Haftarah.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Chumash’.
This is not a scientific list based on unified criteria, the sole aim was to collect as many language names as possible.
The list contains the names of the following artificial langua...
Looking for tweets for Chumash.