from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group of Hokan-speaking Native American peoples formerly inhabiting the southern California coastal region around and the channel islands off Santa Barbara, with a small present-day population near Santa Barbara.
- n. A member of any of these peoples.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. any book of the Pentateuch
- proper n. the Pentateuch collectively
- proper n. a native American tribe of southern California.
- proper n. The language of the tribe.
Hebrew חומש, from חמש, five (Wiktionary)
Ineseño čʰumaš, the Island Chumash people (Wiktionary)