from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An axis to which a carpel of a compound pistil may be attached, as in the case of the geranium; or which is left when a pod opens.
- n. A columnlike axis in the capsules of mosses.
- n. A term applied to various columnlike parts.
- n. The upright pillar in the axis of most univalve shells.
- n. The central pillar or axis of the calicles of certain corals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A little column.
- n. 2.In botany: In many cryptogams, especially in Musci, as Mucorini and Myxomycetes, a central axis in the spore-case, a continuation of the pedicel. The spores are arranged about it, and in the Myxomycetes the capillitium branches from it.
- n. The persistent axis of certain capsules, from which the edges of the valves break away.
- n. The carpophore in Umbelliferæ, the continuation of the axis bearing the two halves of the fruit.
- n. In Zoöl. and anatomy: The upright pillar in the center of most of the univalve shells, round which the whorls are convoluted. See cut under univalve.
- n. A bone of the tympanic cavity or middle ear in birds, most reptiles, and some amphibians, corresponding to the stirrup-bone or stapes of mammals; the columella auris.
- n. A bone of the side of the skull of some reptiles, especially lizards, a peculiar dismemberment of the pterygoid, which may meet the parietal or a process of it; the column-bone; the columella cranii.
- n. The modiolus or central axis of the cochlea in mammals, round which the lamina spiralis winds; the columella cochleæ
- n. A core of connective tissue in crinoids which occupies the central cavity included by the coil of the alimentary canal.
- n. A structure in the center of the visceral chamber of corals, typically a calcareous rod which extends from the bottom of the chamber to the floor of the calice, projecting upward in the latter, and with which the primary septa are usually connected.
- n. One of the rods attached to the hyomandibular capsule of the urodele amphibians, representing a remnant of a branchial arch.
- n. A process in the chitinous mandibles of polyzoans.
- n. In human anatomy, an old name of the uvula.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small column (or structure resembling a column) that is a part of a plant or animal
Sorry, no etymologies found.