from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An island of the northern Philippines at the entrance to Manila Bay. Despite a heroic defense, Filipino and U.S. troops were forced to surrender the fortified island to Japan in May 1942. U.S. paratroopers recaptured the island in March 1945.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The chief magistrate of a Spanish town.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Spain, the chief magistrate of a town.
- n. In parts of America settled by Spaniards: A magistrate having jurisdiction of certain special cases prescribed by law.
- n. The chief officer of a corregimiento.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the peninsula and island in the Philippines where Japanese forces besieged American forces in World War II; United States forces surrendered in 1942 and recaptured the area in 1945
Sorry, no etymologies found.