American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A city of central England east-southeast of Birmingham. Famous as the home of Lady Godiva in the 11th century, Coventry was severely damaged in air raids during World War II (November 1940). Population: 303,000.
- A town of west-central Rhode Island southwest of Providence. It was settled in 1643 and was formerly a noted lacemaking center. Population: 34,700.
- n. A state of ostracism or exile: "It's not that smoke-filled rooms are back; smokers huddle in Coventry these days” ( Flora Lewis).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See snip-snap-snorem.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A town in the county of Warwick, England.
- n. the state of being banished or ostracized (excluded from society by general consent)
- n. an industrial city in central England; devastated by air raids during World War II; remembered as the home of Lady Godiva in the 11th century
- After Coventry 1, England (possibly from the sending of Royalist prisoners there during the English Civil War). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It wasn't really indie, it was B-Side in Coventry (near The Grog Shop).”
“How I wish I could go to the UK Ravelry jamboree in Coventry in June!”
“There were double-digit increases in Coventry, north Wales, Teesside and at the Liverpool Echo.”
“It looks as if around 75% of Becta's 200-strong workforce will face redundancy, and in Coventry, that's an all-too familiar story.”
“My local butcher in Coventry liked to tell me that whole roads were condemned by the Council as "bomb damaged", so they could pull them down instead of repairing the medieval buildings in order to build the ringroad!”
“Hope you enjoyed your time in Coventry, for all its faults I love it.”
“I lived for three years, in Coventry and was a council candidate during that time in Bob Ainsworth's constituency.”
““This book helped me create my identity,” said Naina Syed, 14, a high school freshman in Coventry, Conn.”
“The photo was taken in Coventry a few months back.”
“Yesterday I was in Coventry looking at its cathedral - or cathedrals.”
‘Coventry’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Coventry.