American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Formerly Hel·les·pont (hĕlˈĭ-spŏntˌ)Dardanelles A strait connecting the Aegean Sea with the Sea of Marmara. In ancient times it was the scene of the legendary exploits of Hero and Leander.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the strait between the Aegean and the Sea of Marmara that separates European from Asian Turkey.
- n. the unsuccessful campaign in World War I (1915) by the English and French to open a passage for aid to Russia; defeated by the Turks.
- n. the strait between the Aegean and the Sea of Marmara that separates European Turkey from Asian Turkey
- n. the unsuccessful campaign in World War I (1915) by the English and French to open a passage for aid to Russia; defeated by the Turks
“Russia entering the Dardanelles is an instance of this, and the Bosnian frontier at this moment is another.”
“We sailed through the barren Archipelago, and into the narrow channel they sometimes call the Dardanelles and sometimes the Hellespont.”
“Dardanelles is exposed in the Memoirs of the Baron de Tott, (tom.iii. p. 39 — 97,) who was sent to fortify them against the”
“The strait connecting the two is still called the Dardanelles after ancient Dardania.”
“And Gallipoli is a village on the Dardanelles, which is where we attempted to attack.”
“The Dardanelles are a water passageway from the Mediterranean Sea and the Aegean to the Sea of Marmara.”
“May 3 -- The ships of the allied fleet are now working in shifts at the bombardment of the Dardanelles, which is maintained twenty-four hours”
“In the old days of sailing ships the Dardanelles were a most formidable obstacle which no Admiral would have faced with confidence.”
“When Mr. Childs, the American Ambassador to Italy, sat with Lord Curzon opposite the Turks at Lausanne, one of the things they discussed was whether or not the Dardanelles was a naturally free waterway.”
“The sea being clear of enemy ships, the route from Liverpool to the Dardanelles has been a lane for an easy and pleasant promenade.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Dardanelles’.
Looking for tweets for Dardanelles.