from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of eastern Iowa on the Mississippi River opposite Moline and Rock Island, Illinois. It grew rapidly after the first railroad bridge across the Mississippi was completed in 1856. Population: 99,500.
- Davenport, John 1597-1670. English Puritan who fled to America in 1637 and helped found a colony at New Haven, Connecticut.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A habitational surname from the town in Cheshire.
- proper n. A surname of Irish origin from the Gaelic Ó Donndubhartaigh.
- proper n. A surname of Anglo-Norman origin: de avesne port, where avesne is derived from Frankish avisna ("field" see:Wiese).
Sorry, no etymologies found.
DAVENPORT, Iowa - A 1.2 million dollar project kicked off on the Annie Wittenmyer campus Thursday in Davenport.
DAVENPORT, Iowa - $3.7 million dollars later, the city of Davenport has officially opened the New Centennial Park on the riverfront on Saturday.
DAVENPORT - The Coast Guard, California State Parks personnel and Cal Fire continue searching for a missing 17-year-old Los Gatos boy in the waters just south of Davenport.
BRIDGE AT DAVENPORT - The First bridge across the Mississippi River, built in 1856, connected Rock Island, Illinois, and Davenport and was a major breakthrough for western travel and commerce.
• REGINA 2, DAVENPORT WEST 0: The top-ranked Regals improved to 5-1 with the win in Davenport.
DAVENPORT -- A '' Hope and Discoveries in the Book of Daniel '' series of discussions will be held from Monday to May 11 at CASI, 1035 W. Kimberly Road, Davenport.
DAVENPORT -- The internationally known St. Olaf College Orchestra from Northfield, Minn., will perform at 7: 30 p.m. this evening at First Presbyterian Church in Davenport.
DAVENPORT, Iowa - A lawsuit over a fire that destroyed the Iowa Turkey Products plant in Postville in 2003 is now in the hands of a federal jury in Davenport
DAVENPORT -- Nearly 500 people put on their walking shoes for hunger Sunday afternoon at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport for the 37th Annual Quad Cities CROP (Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty) Walk.
Outlook: All-American Jessica Davenport is an inside force.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.