from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic order within the superorder Eucarida — the decapod crustacea.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- plural proper n. The order of Crustacea which includes the shrimps, lobsters, crabs, etc.
- plural proper n. A division of the dibranchiate cephalopods including the cuttlefishes and squids. See Decacera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The ten-footed crustaceans; those Crustacea which have five pairs of legs or ambulatory appendages, at least one pair of which is chelate; an order of podophthalmic or stalk-eyed Crustacea. See cuts under Podophthalmia and stalk-eyed.
- The ten-armed cephalopods; a division of the dibranchiate or acetabuliferous Cephalopoda, as distinguished from Octopoda, having two long tentacles or cephalic processes (besides the eight arms or rays), bearing suckers only at their ends: also called Decacera.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lobsters; crayfish; crabs; shrimps; prawns
- n. squids and cuttlefishes
Studies and fisheries of pandalid shrimps (Crustacea, Decapoda, Pandalidae) in the Northern Hemisphere: A review in the XXI century eve (with special reference to Russia), pp. 9 – 31.
In the paper "A new species of Cyrtomaia Miers, 1886 (Crustacea: Decapoda: Brachyura: Majidae) from Micronesia" by B.R. de Forges and P.K.L. Ng in Zootaxa 1409: 61-67 (2007) a new species of Cyrtomaia deep-sea spider crab.
The breeding behaviour and migrations of the terrestrial crab Gecarcoidea natalis (Decapoda: Brachyura).
However, they are not true shrimp (order Decapoda), but belong to the order Mysidacea, a large, almost exclusively marine order.
The freshwater crabs of Sri Lanka (Decapoda: Brachyura: Parathelphusidae).
A note on aggregation behaviour and mass mortality of the spider crab Maja squinado (Herbst) (Decapoda, Majidae) in shallow water on the north Co Wexford coast.
Systematics and ecology of the land crabs (Decapoda: Coenobitidae, Grapsidae, and Gecarcinidae) of the Tokelau Islands, central Pacific.
A new genus and species of goneplacid crab (Crustacea, Decapoda, Brachyura, Goneplacidae) from the Caribbean.
Cladistic analysis of the Eudaniela species complex (Crustacea: Decapoda: Pseudothelphusidae).
The phylogenetic and systematic position of the Penaeus subgenus Litopenaeus (Decapoda: Dendrobranchiata: Penaeidae).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.