American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A constellation in the Northern Hemisphere near Pegasus and Aquila.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of the family Delphinidæ, to which very different limits have been assigned, By the authors of the Linnean school it was used for all the cetaceans with teeth in both jaws, and consequently for the Delphinidæ (except Monodon), Platanistidæ, and Iniidœ.
- n. One of the ancient constellations, representing a dolphin. It is situated east of Aquila.
- n. A taxonomic genus within the family Delphinidae — the dolphins.
- n. astronomy A small summer constellation of the northern sky, said to resemble a dolphin. It lies between the constellations Cygnus and Aquila.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A genus of Cetacea, including the dolphin. See dolphin, 1.
- n. (Astron.) The Dolphin, a constellation near the equator and east of Aquila.
- n. type genus of the Delphinidae
- n. a constellation in the northern hemisphere near Pegasus and Aquila
- From Latin delphīnus, from Ancient Greek δελφίν (delphin), a later form of the previous δελφίς (delphis) "a dolphin". (Wiktionary)
- Latin delphīnus, dolphin; see dolphin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Illinois Attorney General cites that same CDO , called Delphinus 2007-1, in Wednesday's lawsuit.”
“McGraw-Hill Cos . said Monday the SEC had given it a so-called Wells notice over its Standard & Poor's Ratings Services unit, alleging S&P violated federal securities laws with respect to its ratings for a collateralized debt obligation known as Delphinus CDO 2007-1 and arranged by Mizuho International PLC, a unit of Japan's Mizuho Financial Group Inc.”
“McGraw-Hill said the SEC is weighing civil enforcement action against the firm for its ratings on a collateralized debt obligation called Delphinus CDO 2007-1 issued in July 2007 as the housing market was taking a turn for the worse.”
“SEC officials are examining whether S&P thoroughly scrutinized the assets that replaced the dummy assets in a July 2007 deal called Delphinus CDO 2007-1, according to people familiar with the matter.”
“S&P's parent company, McGraw-Hill, said the SEC is weighing civil enforcement action against the firm for its ratings on a collateralized debt obligation called Delphinus CDO 2007-1 issued in July 2007 as the housing market was taking a turn for the worse.”
“The notice was tied to how S&P rated a CDO called Delphinus 2007-1.”
“Wells Notice, the SEC told McGraw Hill that it was considering starting a "civil injunctive action" against S&P for alleged "violations of federal securities laws with respect to S&P's ratings for a particular 2007 offering of collateralized debt obligations, known as 'Delphinus CDO 2007-1.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Delphinus’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) recognizes 88 official constellations.
Looking for tweets for Delphinus.