from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic order within the subdivision Polyneoptera — the earwigs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See dermoptera, dermopteran.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An old and disused group of insects; in De Geer's system, one of three groups (the others being Hemiptera and Coleoptera) of his Vaginata.
- The earwigs, Forficulidæ, as an order of Insecta: now usually called Euplexoptera (which see). Kirby. Also Dermatoptera.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. earwigs and a few related forms
Sorry, no etymologies found.