American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The goddess of the dawn.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Gr. mythology, the goddess of the dawn, who brings up the rosy light of day from the east: same as the Roman Aurora. She was represented in art and poetry as a young and beautiful winged maiden.
- n. [NL.] A genus of lories, by some ranked only as a section of Domicella, containing several species, as E. histrio, E. rubra, E. cardinalis, etc.
- n. Greek mythology The Greek goddess of the dawn; daughter of Hyperion and Theia, sister of Helios and Selene, wife of Astraeus (god of the dusk), and mother of the four Anemoi ("Winds"), and the five Astra Planeta ("Wandering Stars/Planets"). Her Roman counterpart is Aurora.
- n. poetic the dawn
- n. A taxonomic genus within the subfamily Loriinae — lorikeets of Indonesia with predominantly red plumage and blue, purple or black markings.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Gr. Myth.) Aurora, the goddess of morn.
- n. (Greek mythology) the winged goddess of the dawn in ancient mythology; daughter of Hyperion; identified with Roman Aurora
- From Ancient Greek Ἠώς (Ēōs) or ἕως (heōs, "dawn"). (Wiktionary)
- Greek Ēōs, from ēōs, dawn; see aus- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“To promote the release of The Domino Men by Jonathan Barnes, Eos is making Barnes 'well-received first book, The Somnambulist, available for free reading online.”
“His next anthology, co-edited with Jonathan Strahan and due in June 2010 from Eos, is Swords and Dark Magic.”
“His next anthology, co-edited with Jonathan Strahan and due in June 2010 from Harper Eos, is Swords and Dark Magic.”
“Eos is letting you Ask Neal Stephenson about Anathem, his forthcoming novel that explores issues of science and humanity and is due in September.”
“For a limited time, Eos is making The Serpent Bride By Sara Douglass available as a free download in multiple formats (Adobe, MS reader and MobiPocket).”
“Eos is ending their "10 weeks, 10 giveaways" promotion with a bang: head on over and see how to win a complete Eos 2009 library.”
“Free Book: Eos is looking for advance readers to read and review Dreaming Again: Thirty-five Tales from the Wild Side of Australian Fiction, edited by Jack Dann.”
“For the remainder of 2008, Eos is making Adam Troy-Castro's well-received first novel Emissaries from the Dead available as a free eBook.”
“Eos is giving away free e-books in honor of its 10th anniversary, starting with with Robin Hobbs 'Shaman's Crossing. [via Locus Online]”
“For a limited time, Eos is making City of Pearl by Karen Traviss, the first book of the Wess'har Wars series, available as a free download. (use the coupon code EOS4) Formats provided include Adobe Digital, Microsoft Reader and Mobipocket.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Eos’.
Looking for tweets for Eos.