from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of papaveraceous plants, found in California and upon the west coast of North America, some species of which produce beautiful yellow, orange, rose-colored, or white flowers; the California poppy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small genus of delicate glabrous and glaucous herbs, of the natural order Papaveraceæ, natives of California and the adjacent region.
- n. In zoology: A genus of beetles, of the family Elateridæ. Also called Athous.
- n. A genus of saccate ctenophorans, of the family Cydippidæ. E. cordata is a Mediterranean species. Also Eschscholthia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. showy herbs of western North America
Sorry, no etymologies found.