from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A female given name. Variant: Eugenie.
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the tribe Myrtae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of myrtaceous plants, mostly of tropical countries, and including several aromatic trees and shrubs, among which are the trees which produce allspice and cloves of commerce.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of myrtaceous shrubs and trees, of over 500 species, which are found in tropical or subtropical America and tropical Asia, with a few species in Africa and Australia.
- n. A genus of humming-birds. E. imperatrix is a fine species from Ecuador, green with a violet throat-spot.
- n. A genus of dipterous insects, of the family Muscidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical trees and shrubs with aromatic leaves and often valuable hard wood
Ancient Greek Εὐγενία, feminine form of Εὐγένιος ( =Eugene) "well born". (Wiktionary)