from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the tribe Myrtae.
- proper n. A female given name. Variant: Eugenie.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of myrtaceous plants, mostly of tropical countries, and including several aromatic trees and shrubs, among which are the trees which produce allspice and cloves of commerce.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of myrtaceous shrubs and trees, of over 500 species, which are found in tropical or subtropical America and tropical Asia, with a few species in Africa and Australia.
- n. A genus of humming-birds. E. imperatrix is a fine species from Ecuador, green with a violet throat-spot.
- n. A genus of dipterous insects, of the family Muscidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical trees and shrubs with aromatic leaves and often valuable hard wood
Of the jambu (eugenia, L.) there are several species, among which the jambu merah or kling (Eugenia malaccensis) is the most esteemed for the table, and is also the largest.
Besides, the Eugenia is a destination unto itself.
Eugenia is an inspiration for certain, but really, just so COOL!
The voice went on ... the newcomer's, the one they called Eugenia ... yes, she had known them in Italy.
Our two eldest girls are but slightly provided for; and Eugenia is far more dangerously circumstanced, in standing so conspicuously apart, as a prize to some adventurer.
He thought it right, however, to detain Eugenia, who, as his decided heiress, was left to be brought up at Cleves.
Eugenia is at present safe; I see, now, distinctly, her heart is yet untouched.
Now, this prize is no other than your cousin Eugenia Tyrold, whom I don't tell you is a beauty; but if you are the sensible lad I take you for, you won't think the worse of her for wanting such frail perfections.
The contrition of the trembling Lavinia could not but obtain from Mrs. Tyrold the pardon it deserved: but she could make no allowance for the extreme want of consideration in Sir Hugh; and anxiously waited the time when she might call back Eugenia from the management of a person whom she considered as more childish than her children themselves.
Indiana says nothing to amuse me; and Eugenia is so bookish, I might as well live with an old woman; which God forbid I should object to, only I like
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.