from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make European.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to make something, or someone, more European
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cause to become like the Europeans in manners or character; to habituate or accustom to European usages.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make or cause to become European; assimilate to Europeans in any respect, or bring into a condition characteristic of Europe: as, a Europeanized Hindu.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. denationalize and subject (a territory) to the supervision of an agency of a European community of nations
- v. make (continental) European in customs, character, or ideas
Sorry, no etymologies found.
At the same time, though, the funds will also "Europeanize" the next gas spat, potentially undermining EU-Ukrainian relations.
President Obama and Congress are looking to "Europeanize" the United States through a legislative stampede of government control: the nationalizing of our health care system, cap and trade energy taxes, and aggressive unionization.
If, however, he wants to "Europeanize" the United States, then the gloves come off.
This will hamper employers, discourage and reject legal employees and otherwise "Europeanize"
And then to Europeanize the world's greatest healthcare system on top of it!
Mitch McConnel warns that passage of the Employee Free Choice Act, permitting workers to form unions through a majority sign-up process rather than an election rigged by employers, would “Europeanize America”
President Obama wants to Europeanize the U.S. All right, he wouldn't put it in those terms, partly because the electorate wouldn't wear it and partly because he sees himself as less Eurocentric than any of his 43 predecessors.
The second is the increasing disappointment of independent voters, who are rightly unhappy with higher spending, higher taxes, ObamaCare, a lack of progress on trade, increased restrictions on the energy supply, and the near-commandeering of the auto and banking industries, all of which amount to an effort to Europeanize America, just as European welfare states are facing their own crisis
A second political obstacle is the fear that helping Greece will lead to similar demands from Portugal, Spain, Ireland, and even Italy, to Europeanize their national debts.
Yet the Obama administration is doing its best to Europeanize America.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.