from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology A Gorgon, sister of Medusa and Stheno.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Nymphaeaceae — water lilies growing in India and China.
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Euryalidae — ophiurans with much-branched arms.
- proper n. The second eldest of the gorgons.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of water lilies, growing in India and China. The only species (Euryale ferox) is very prickly on the peduncles and calyx. The rootstocks and seeds are used as food.
- n. A genus of ophiurans with much-branched arms.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of sand-stars or brittle-stars of the family Euryalidæ, or referred to the family Astrophytidæ.
- n. A genus of water-lilies, of India and China, with large peltate leaves and a spiny calyx.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) one of the three Gorgons
- n. basket stars
Ancient Greek Εὐρυάλη, "far-roaming". (Wiktionary)