American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church Used as a title for an Italian monk or friar; brother.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as fro.
- n. An abbreviation of Fellow of the Royal Academy of Music.
- An abbreviation of Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. Old Eng. & Scot. Fro.
- n. Brother; -- a title of a monk or friar.
- Shortened form of Italian frate, 'monk' (Wiktionary)
- Italian, short for frate, brother, from Latin frāter; see bhrāter- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“RP: Your latest release is called Fra le Nuvole -- why the Italian reference to clouds?”
“His artistic skill and piety was noted and he was given the name Fra Angelico (Brother Angel).”
“But that might change tonight since, according to her last missive, Linette was supposed to be in attendance at the Wentworth event along with three Fratelli superiors, each from a different country—a UK representative, a Russian spokesman, and one from the U.S. known as Fra Vestavia, who BAD had a keen interest in.”
“The old man known as Fra Francesco had taught both of these men and instilled in them the understanding that they were cousins of a very ancient blood and spirit.”
“It is a miracle," whispered old Donna Elisa; "they all believe in Fra Felice, and they let his numbers burn.”
“And I saw some of his work once, work he did with Fra Giovanni "'this was the man later called Fra Angelico by all the world-" and I tell you, I think he is brilliant.”
“The Fra was a _miniatore_, after all, -- a manuscript illuminator of the first class.”
“A number of small pictures of the Madonna recall Fra Filippo; others more severe in tome seem to show the influence of Verrocchio.”
“Our guide, Marin Guentert, an industrial designer and electronic music aficionado, started us out at a restaurant called Fra Rosa, where you pay what you like.”
“Fiesole, Fra Giovanni da (called Fra Angelico), 162”
‘Fra’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Fra.