from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of west-central Germany on the Main River. Founded in the first century B.C. by the Romans, it was the virtual capital of Germany from 1816 to 1866. It is now an industrial, commercial, and financial center. Population: 653,000.
- A city of eastern Germany on the Oder River and the Polish border. It was chartered in 1253 and became a prosperous member of the Hanseatic League in the 14th century. Population: 62,600.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Frankfurt-am-Main, a city in central Germany.
- proper n. Frankfurt-an-der-Oder, a city near Berlin Germany.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a German city; an industrial and commercial and financial center
Sorry, no etymologies found.
FRANKFURT -- The European Central Bank's meeting here Thursday in mellow Frankfurt will be overshadowed by the blur of Group of 20 protests and political faceoffs across the Channel.
FRANKFURT, Germany – Police on Monday searched computer hard-drives and discs seized from a Moroccan mosque in Frankfurt looking for evidence of violent films, including a beheading, that a young girl said were shown to her and other children to try and incite hatred toward non-Muslims, authorities said.
FRANKFURT - Two German doctors 'groups alleged that a Nigerian man who died while being deported from Frankfurt airport choked to death on a police gag.
FRANKFURT - Three U.S. cargo planes left Frankfurt under the cover of night, presumably to drop the first crates of emergency aid supplies over Bosnia.
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Criminals sitting out long-term sentences were given a rare opportunity to break down the figurative walls between prison life and freedom by joining local students in staging an opera near Frankfurt.
FRANKFURT: Malaysia was conspicuously missing at the just-concluded four-day HEIMTEXTIL Fair in Frankfurt.
(FRANKFURT) - A 86. 7-carat uncut diamond worth an estimated 2.5 million euros has been seized at Frankfurt airport from an Angolan man arriving from Namibia, police said on Friday.
(FRANKFURT) - Tighter security at airports may be an inconvenience to passengers, but for one firm near Frankfurt airport, Europe's third-largest hub, it is a once-in-a-lifetime business opportunity.
FRANKFURT - Despite uncertainties that still plague the world's home-textile industry with low demand and high unemployment in many traditional markets, India dominated the ongoing four-day Heimtextil fair in Frankfurt - the world's largest fair for home textiles and furnishing products - by presenting the world's biggest exhibitor contingent.
September 23rd, 2009 FRANKFURT - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived in Frankfurt, Germany, late Wednesday on his way to the US to attend the G20 summit in Pittsburg.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.