from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the subfamily Lilioideae — the fritillaries.
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Fritillariidae — many small free-swimming tunicates.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of liliaceous plants, of which the crown-imperial (Fritillaria imperialis) is one species, and the Guinea-hen flower (F. Meleagris) another. See crown-imperial.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of liliaceous bulbous plants, nearly allied to the lily.
- n. In zoology, a genus of copelate ascidians, of the family Appendiculariidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fritillary
Latin fritillus ("dice-box"). (Wiktionary)