- n. Germanic mythology The myth of the destruction of the gods in a final battle with the forces of evil; the apocalypse.
- n. Any cataclysmic downfall or momentous, apocalyptic event, especially of a regime or an institution.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (German mythology) A myth about the ultimate destruction of the gods in a battle with evil.
- n. An opera by Richard Wagner.
- n. myth about the ultimate destruction of the gods in a battle with evil
- From German Götterdämmerung ("twilight of the gods"), especially as the title of an opera by Wagner; by erroneously translating Old Norse ragnarök ("fate of the gods"), misconstrued as ragnarökkr ("twilight of the gods"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Götterdämmerung’.
a list of pretentious words i have used or hope to use when discussing operas because they make me feel like i am considerably more knowledgeable about opera than i actually am.
R. Peter Jackson's list
Germanic loans to English
List of German words in the English language, not necessarily with the same meaning. For times you want to sound über-smart.
Words borrowed from the German language
Looking for tweets for Götterdämmerung.