from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The fleece of the golden ram, stolen by Jason and the Argonauts from the king of Colchis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A magical fleece from a winged ram guarded by the hydra in the tale of Jason and the Argonauts.
- proper n. A chivalric order founded in 1430 by Duke Philip III of Burgundy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. An order of knighthood instituted in 1429 by Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy; -- called also Toison d'Or.
- n. See under Golden.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. in Greek mythology, a fleece of gold owned by the king of Colchis and guarded in a sacred grove by a dragon; recovered by Jason and the Argonauts
Sorry, no etymologies found.
By contrast, he confirms his theory that the quest for the Golden Fleece was a metaphor for Greek colonization of the Black Sea region by consulting with archaeologists who have excavated Iron Age sites in the area.
Now the landlord of the Golden Fleece was a very stout man, — a very stout man indeed.
At any rate, the Golden Fleece is a celestial symbol.
"King Pelias knows that the winning of the Golden Fleece is a feat most difficult," said Jason.
King Pelias knows that the winning of the Golden Fleece is a feat most difficult, said Jason.
For children of the third and fourth grade to narrate the story of the Golden Fleece is a more suitable exercise than to memorize the CXIXth Psalm, or a catechism.
a degree of perfection which added greatly to the prosperity of the country, and the Golden Fleece was a fitting symbol of the industry of the people, as well as a compliment to their skill.
Her prologue tells us that she had secured her husband's career by helping him obtain the Golden Fleece.
Those of us of a certain age loved that 1963 film based on the Greek myth of Jason, who searches for the Golden Fleece.
Giasone's dissipation was signaled by his unknotted tuxedo tie; the Argo was a modern speedboat; Isifile had a pink minidress with a Jackie Kennedy pillbox hat; the Golden Fleece was a big, shaggy coat; and Delfa's outfit was channeling Dame Edna.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.