from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. high-density lipoprotein
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Initialism of high-density lipoprotein.
- Initialism of Hardware Description Language.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. High density lipoprotein, a lipoprotein that transports cholesterol in the blood; high levels are thought to be associated with decreased risk of coronary heart disease and atherosclerosis; sometimes called good cholesterol. Contrasted with
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a lipoprotein that transports cholesterol in the blood; composed of a high proportion of protein and relatively little cholesterol; high levels are thought to be associated with decreased risk of coronary heart disease and atherosclerosis
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Later results indicated that the increase in HDL is actually protective.
That's because HDL is a kind of blood-borne barge that hauls fat from the artery wall to the liver for excretion.
Researchers there found that the villagers had a mutation in HDL's biggest protein, apoA-1.
A small increase in HDL produces nearly as much of a benefit as LDL [low-density lipoprotein or "bad" cholesterol] reduction, "said Dr. Steve Nissen, senior author of the study and chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic.
Still, it isn't clear if raising HDL translates into a reduction of cardiovascular events like heart attacks and strokes.
It also reverberated through other companies, including Merck & Co ., which are developing HDL-raising drugs in hopes of cashing in on what heart experts call the "HDL hypothesis."
What's so beneficial about it, it seems to be better at lowering the bad levels of cholesterol, the HDL, which is so hard to do.
But a new product called HDL Booster, developed by Goodman, might help, too.
People with high levels of HDL, which is known to protect against heart disease, also had high expression levels of the gene called VNN1.
Actually I do, but I also do know that one of the best ways to raise your HDL, which is the good cholesterol, is exercise.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.