from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a predominantly Muslim people inhabiting northern Nigeria and southern Niger.
- n. A Chadic language spoken by the Hausa, widely used as a trade language in West Africa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Moslem people living in Nigeria and part of Niger.
- n. The Chadic language spoken by these people.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the chief member of the Chadic family of Afroasiatic languages; widely used as a trading language
- n. a member of a Negroid people living chiefly in northern Nigeria
TWR broadcasts the good news ½ hour daily in Hausa to Nigeria.
Hausa is a major trade language for much of Nigeria, Niger and beyond.
His people still call the Hausa Muslims ajei, which means “those who trouble us.”
The Hausa are a Sahelian people chiefly located in the West African regions of northern Nigeria and southeastern Niger.
In Africa, I heard original mother tongues, such as Hausa, and Swahili, being spoken, and there I was standing like some little boy, waiting for someone to tell me what had been said; I never will forget how ignorant I felt.
Linguists subscribe to a rather different explanation for the observed similarities: that Berber and Arabic (and all the other languages he listed, and many he doesn't list such as Hausa and Somali) are all descended from a single language, called for convenience Proto-Afroasiatic (Greenberg
The affordability of digital filmmaking, and the popularity of widely distributed videos in English, Yoruba, and Hausa, have made Nigeria a thriving center of film production.
Boko Haram's name means "Western education is sinful" in the Hausa language.
Boko Haram is loosely translated in the local Hausa language as "Western education is sin."
Inside, in a cell where 60 alleged militants had spent five months awaiting trial, prisoners had scrawled on concrete walls, "Nasra," or victory, in the Nigerian language Hausa.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.