from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make Hebraic in form or idiom.
- intransitive v. To use or adopt Hebraisms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to convert something into a Hebraic form
- v. to use Hebraic idioms
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To speak Hebrew, or to conform to the Hebrew idiom, or to Hebrew customs.
- transitive v. To convert into the Hebrew idiom; to make Hebrew or Hebraistic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To adapt to the Hebrew form or manner; express in Hebrew idioms.
- To conform to the Hebrew rites, manners, or language.
- To exhibit a tendency to Hebraism; follow Hebraism as an ideal of mind and conduct. See Hebraism, 2.
- Also spelled Hebraise.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The medieval Jews did not simply Hebraize the names of nations but created new ones based on obscure Biblical puns.
The Greek, on the other hand, who had not yet comprehended the majesty of his neighbor's monotheism, for lack of adequate presentation, did not Hebraize.
"It may," he said, "be all very well for born Hebraizers, like Mr. Spurgeon, to Hebraize; but for Liberal statesmen to Hebraize is surely unsafe, and to see poor old Liberal hacks Hebraizing, whose real self belongs to a kind of negative Hellenism -- a state of moral indifference, without intellectual ardour -- is even painful."
David Ben-Gurion (Gruen) issued a directive under which all Israeli diplomatic personnel as well as civil servants and career officers above certain ranks were obliged to Hebraize (l'avret) their last names.
“It may,” he said, “be all very well for born Hebraizers, like Mr. Spurgeon, to Hebraize; but for Liberal statesmen to Hebraize is surely unsafe, and to see poor old Liberal hacks Hebraizing, whose real self belongs to a kind of negative Hellenism ” a state of moral indifference, without intellectual ardour ” is even painful.”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.