from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic subphylum within the phylum Arthropoda — the insects etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. The true, or six-legged, insects; insects other than myriapods and arachnids.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The true insects; the arthropods which have six feet.
- A division of butterflies containing those which have all six legs fitted for walking: opposed to Tetrapoda.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. insects; about five-sixths of all known animal species
Ancient Greek ἕξ (heks, "six") + πούς (pous, "foot"). (Wiktionary)