from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In the context of resistance to British colonialism, a native Indian, especially a Hindustani (plural often same as singular)
- n. In the context of Hindu nationalism, a native Indian of whatever religion, as a person of Hindu culture
- n. this sense?) A speaker of Hindi, as opposed to other languages of India; or more generally a Northern Indian (Aryan) as opposed to a Dravidian.
- n. this sense?) An Asian Indian, as opposed to an American Indian (Amerindian).
- n. A town and district in Khuzistan, Iran, now Hendijan
- n. An old name for the Zohreh River separating Khuzistan and Bushehr provinces, named after the town
Hind + -ian, or a conflation of Hindi or Hindu and Indian. The term seems to have been coined several times independently. (Wiktionary)