from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A historical region of India considered at various times to include only the upper Ganges River plateau or all of northern India from the Himalaya Mountains to the Deccan Plateau and from the Punjab to Assam. The term has also been applied to the entire Indian subcontinent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. the northern region of India, in which the predominant religion is Hinduism
- proper n. an alternative name for India (the whole country)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. northern region of India where Hinduism predominates.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. northern region of India where Hinduism predominates
Persian هند (hind, "India") + ستان (stān, "-stan") (Wiktionary)