from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Christianity The Holy Spirit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. One of the three distinct Persons or Hypostases of the Holy Trinity, the others being God the Father and God the Son (Jesus).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. the third person of the Trinity; the Comforter; the Paraclete.
- n. the Holy Spirit; the Paraclete; the Comforter; (Theol.) the third person in the Trinity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The wild angelica of Europe, Angelica sylvestris, formerly regarded as good against poison and pestilence. See angelica.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the third person in the Trinity; Jesus promised the Apostles that he would send the Holy Spirit after his Crucifixion and Resurrection; it came on Pentecost
For the Holy Ghost is my witness, and the angels done signed my name
I tend to view God the Father as the conservative, absolutist, past and order oriented analogy, while the Holy Ghost is the future hope/mystery side of the equation, with Jesus being the complex intersection of order and chaos that is the present.
Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is a masterpiece album.
In the work of sanctification the Holy Ghost comes and dwells in us; and hereon "our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost, which is in us;" and "the temple of God is holy," 1 Cor.iii. 16, 17, -- although, I confess, this rather belongs unto the holiness of peculiar dedication unto God, whereof we shall treat afterward.
Again; with respect unto the manner of their communication, they are called merismoi tou Pneumatos hagiou, Heb.ii. 4, "distributions," or partitions "of the Holy Ghost;" not whereof the Holy Ghost is the subject, as though he were parted or divided, as the Socinians dream on this place, but whereof he is the author, the distributions which he makes.
The Holy Ghost is the immediate author and cause of this work of regeneration.
For the Holy Ghost is the Spirit of the Son, according to Gal.
For the Holy Ghost is the love of Father and Son, as stated in the First Part (Q. 37, A. 1).
Because the sin against the Holy Ghost is the sin of blasphemy, according to Matt.
According to this interpretation the sin against the Holy Ghost is a special kind of sin, as also according to the first interpretation: whereas according to the second, it is not
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.