from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • A body of cavalry so called; esp., a British regiment, called the Royal Horse Guards, which furnishes guards of state for the sovereign.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • A body of cavalry for guards. See guard.
  • [capitalized] The public office in Whitehall. London, appropriated to the departments under the commander-in-chief of the British army: so called from the two horsemen standing sentry at the gates.
  • [capitalized] The military authorities in charge of the war department of Great Britain, in distinction from the civil chief, the Secretary for War.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.