from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A steel joist or girder with short flanges and a cross section formed like the letter I.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A beam shaped like a capital letter I (with serifs top and bottom), used in construction.
  • n. A cursor shaped like the letter I, usually indicating the presence of editable text.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.