from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a variety of red or purple pigments containing ferric oxide, found in natural earth or made by chemical methods.
- n. The colour of Indian red pigment: a variety of dark, purplish reds.
- adj. Having the colour of Indian red pigment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See Almagra.
- n. See under Indian, and Almagra.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reddish-brown color resembling the red soil used as body paint by American Indians
- n. a red pigment composed in part from ferric oxide which is often used in paints and cosmetics
- n. a red soil containing ferric oxide; often used as a pigment
1672 pigment, c. 1810–27 colour and adjective. Indian + red, the pigment originally being an earth obtained from the East Indies. (Wiktionary)