American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An ancient region of western Asia Minor along the coast of the Aegean Sea. Greek settlers established colonies here before 1000 B.C. The seaports of Ionia flourished from c. 8th century B.C. until the Turkish conquest of the 15th century A.D.
- n. historical An Ancient Greek settlement on the west coast of Asia Minor inhabited by the Ionians, one of the four main Hellenic tribes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A region of Western Asia Minor colonized by the Ancient Greeks.
- n. region of western Asia Minor colonized by ancient Greeks
- From Ancient Greek Ἰωνία. (Wiktionary)
“IONIA - A 25-year-old Ionia man led police on a high-speed chase Wednesday night that reached speeds in excess of 100 mph, authorities said.”
“The first person we know of who might be called a scientist was Thales of Miletus, who lived in Ionia, now the west coast of Turkey, around 600 B.C.”
“Smyrna -- in Ionia, a little to the north of Ephesus.”
“The Athenians believed that the Ionians had originated in Athens and had spread from there by an early colonization to what came to be called Ionia on the central coast of Asia Minor; there they founded and formed a loose league of cities.”
“The Ionians invaded the western coast of Asia Minor, which was subsequently called Ionia, taking over the existing cities of Colophon, Miletus, Smyrna, Myus, Priene, Ephesus, Phocaea, and others.”
“It was then a coastal city, on a gulf now filled in by silt, in a region known as Ionia.”
“He was a powerful monarch, -- so powerful that the Greeks, who had built cities all along the coast of Asia Minor, in the country called Ionia, never spoke of him except as "The Great King.”
“They had probably as little to do with the Glass murder in Ionia, which is alleged as an instance of hostility to the United States, as Gen. Jo.”
“And travelers often forget that 2,000 years ago the west coast of Turkey was the heartland of ancient Greece - a region called Ionia.”
“Ionia, which is alleged as an instance of hostility to the United”
‘Ionia’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Ionia.