from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A burgh of southwest Scotland on the estuary of the Irvine River southwest of Glasgow. It is an industrial center. Population: 32,600.
- A city of southern California southeast of Santa Ana. A branch of the University of California (opened 1965) is here. Population: 194,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A river in Scotland.
- proper n. A surname derived from the place name.
- proper n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
Probably from Celtic words cognate with Welsh ir, yr "green,fresh" + afon "water". (Wiktionary)