from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A native or inhabitant of the ancient Northern Kingdom of Israel.
- n. A descendant of Jacob; a Jew.
- n. A member of a people regarded as the chosen people of God.
- n. A Jew not descended from the tribe of Levi and not a priest.
- adj. Of or relating to ancient Israel, the ancient Israelites, or their culture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A native or inhabitant of the (1) united nation of Israel (under the Judges, and then kings Saul, David and Solomon), or (2) the later northern kingdom centered in Samaria, distinct from kingdom of Judah centered in Jerusalem.
- proper n. A member of the Twelve Tribes of Israel and a descendant of Jacob.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the ancient nation(s) of Israel, their inhabitants, or to the descendants of the patriarch Jacob.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A descendant of Israel, or Jacob; a Hebrew; a Jew.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A descendant of Israel or Jacob; one of “the children of Israel”; a Hebrew; a Jew.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Israel
- n. a person belonging to the worldwide group claiming descent from Jacob (or converted to it) and connected by cultural or religious ties
Sorry, no etymologies found.