from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical A rope or chain ladder with rigid rungs.
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Polemonium, especially P. caeruleum, having blue flowers and alternate, pinnately compound leaves with numerous leaflets.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flowering plant of the genus Polemonium.
- n. A vertical ladder from the ratline to the upper masts.
- n. A toy consisting of blocks of wood, held together by strings or ribbons, that appear to cascade downward as they flip over.
- n. A pocketknife consisting of two handle segments joined by a pivot, with a blade connected by a second pivot to the end of one handle segment.
- n. A noncompact surface resembling a ladder made of handlebodies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A succession of short cracks in a defective spar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a rope ladder with wooden steps or spokes by which to go aloft. Also called jack-ladder.
- n. A common garden-plant of the genus Polemonium, the P. cæruleum, belonging to the natural order Polemoniaceæ: so called from the ladder-like arrangement of its leaves and leaflets.
- n. A toy in which pieces of cardboard, wood, glass, or other material are so connected, one above another, with strings or tapes, that when the highest one is inverted those below it invert themselves in succession.
- n. The carrion-flower, Smilax herbacea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (nautical) a hanging ladder of ropes or chains supporting wooden or metal rungs or steps
- n. pinnate-leaved European perennial having bright blue or white flowers
From the ladder seen by the biblical patriarch Jacob in a dream (Genesis 28:12).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
After the Biblical Ladder of Jacob. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.