from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A personification of England or the English.
- n. A typical Englishman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A personification of England
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a humorous name for the English, collectively; also, an Englishman.
- n. an ideal personification of the typical characteristics of an Englishman, or of the English people.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Englishman; also, the English collectively.
- n. A game in which the contestants throw pennies upon a flat stone divided into sixteen small squares, each marked with a certain number, and score according to the numbers of the squares upon which the pennies remain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man of English descent
After John Bull, a character in Law Is a Bottomless Pit by John Arbuthnot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)