from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Viola, especially a California violet (V. pedunculata) or a European pansy (V. tricolor), having ovate leaves and variously colored flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several violets or pansies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The pansy, Viola tricolor; also, the bird-foot violet, V. pedata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a common and long cultivated European herb from which most common garden pansies are derived
- n. common violet of the eastern United States with large pale blue or purple flowers resembling pansies
From its quick growth.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Johnny + jump + up. (Wiktionary)