from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See shadbush.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several North American trees of the genus Amelanchier, having white flowers and edible, purplish fruit; or the fruit of such a tree
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The small applelike berry of American trees of genus Amelanchier; -- also called service berry.
- n. The shrub or tree which bears this fruit; -- also called shad bush, and shad tree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The shad-bush or service-berry of North America, Amelanchier Canadensis, of the natural order Rosaceæ.
- n. The fruit of the shad-bash.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various North American trees or shrubs having showy white flowers and edible blue-black or purplish fruit
- n. edible purple or red berries
June + berry, the berries typically ripening in June (Wiktionary)