from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A country of east-central Africa bordering on the Indian Ocean. The site of many early hominid fossils, Kenya was inhabited during historic times by various Cushitic, Nilotic, and Bantu peoples including the Kikuyu and the Masai. The coast was settled by Arab traders in the 8th century A.D. and later (16th-18th century) by the Portuguese. Kenya became a British protectorate in 1890 and crown colony in 1920. It achieved independence in 1963. Nairobi is the capital and the largest city. Population: 36,900,000.
- MountKenya An extinct volcano, 5,202.7 m (17,058 ft), in central Kenya. It is the second-highest peak in Africa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Country in Eastern Africa. Official name: Republic of Kenya.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A country in East Africa, formerly a British colony.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a republic in eastern Africa; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1963; major archeological discoveries have been made in the Great Rift Valley in Kenya
KENYA: In Kenya, where the repressive machinery of the previous
TOM FRASER, VAN KLEEF ROSES KENYA: We also do large tests here in Kenya to make sure the criteria is there from the (UNINTELLIGIBLE), also for an environmentally-friendly rose with not too many thorns.
NAIROBI, KENYA (ANS) -- Compass Direct News (CDN) is reporting that a constitutional battle to expand the scope of Islamic courts in the east African country of Kenya threatens to ignite religious tensions at a time when authorities are on high alert against Muslim extremists with ties to Somalia.
Global recession and kenya Market experts and economists are struggling to explain the current situation in Kenya with no clear indication if the current slow-down in the local economy is being caused by the global financial crisis in Western economies or whether its a conspiracy of local factors.
NAIROBI, KENYA - April 17,2009 - A groundbreaking initiative that will provide home-based HIV / AIDS testing and counseling for two million people in western Kenya over the next two years was announced today by the Right Honourable Raila Odinga, Prime Minister of the Republic of Kenya, the Global Business Coalition on HIV / AIDS, TB and Malaria (GBC) and the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
OL PEJETA CONSERVANCY, KENYA - Four of the world's last known eight northern white rhinos landed in Kenya on Sunday and were transported to a game park where officials hope the endangered mammals will reproduce and save their subspecies.
The rest of his kenyan family celebrated his victory as "obama is a son of kenya" son indeed, he was born in Kenya in front of his black african kenyan muslim grandmother who admitted it during a telephone call to a certain Bishop.
In the early 60s, when all the Somalis were passionately enthusiastic with the achievement of the country´s national independence, only a minority in Kenya accepted the English postcolonial frame of ´Kenya´ - an otherwise inexistent country that cannot and despite all colonial schemes will not stand together.
Canadian international merchandise trade, February 2010 design2host kenya Center For International Trade, Economic En Kenya:
Let us all read this document and decide whether we will vote no and continue protecting land grabbers who have caused the land problem in kenya or vote Yes and usher in a new kenya with equal rights to land, read this document to decide whether you will vote NO and support the current Neo-colonialists who have continued to eat what belongs to Kenya yet they promised to bring resources to the people or YES to usher in a new dawn of resource devolution to enable all kenyans eat the same bread, drive on the same roads and school in the same schools because the national resources will have been equally subdivided throughout the nation thus facilitating development from the grassroots.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.