American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A disk-shaped region in the outer solar system lying beyond the orbit of Neptune and extending to a distance of about 50 astronomical units, containing thousands of small icy bodies, some of which are on highly elliptical orbits, periodically visiting the inner solar system as comets.
- n. A region of space between 30 and 50 astronomical units from the Sun, roughly confined within a thick band around the ecliptic. This area is populated by many thousands of trans-Neptunian objects.
- n. a disk-shaped region of minor planets outside the orbit of Neptune
- Named after the astronomer Gerard Kuiper (1905-1973); and belt. (Wiktionary)
- After Gerard Kuiper (1905-1973), Dutch-born American astronomer. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘Kuiper belt’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Kuiper belt.