from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The legislative assembly of some German states.
- n. A diet or assembly in some German states in the 19th century.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A representative assembly or parliament in German-speaking countries, with some legislative authority.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The diet or legislative body. See legislature, below.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Germany, the legislature of a country; a territorial diet; now, specifically, one of the parliaments of the countries constituting the German empire, as Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria, etc., and of some of the crownlands of Austria-Hungary, as Moravia and Bohemia. See Reichstag.
German : Land, country (from Middle High German lant; see landsman2) + Tag, day, diet, assembly (from Middle High German, from Old High German, influenced by Medieval Latin diēta, diet).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)