from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology A queen of Sparta and the mother, by Zeus in the form of a swan, of Helen and Pollux and, by her husband Tyndareus, of Castor and Clytemnestra.
- n. The satellite of Jupiter that is ninth in distance from the planet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The wife of Tyndareus and mother of Helen, Clytemnestra and Castor and Pollux hatched from eggs as a result of a seduction by Zeus in the guise of a swan
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek myth., the wife of Tyndareus, king of Sparta, and mother of Clytæmnestra, Helen, Castor, and Pollux.
- n. In zoology:
- n. The typical genus of Ledidæ.
- n. A spurious genus of spiders.
- n. A genus of amphipod crustaceans.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) a queen of Sparta who was raped by Zeus who had taken the form of a swan; Helen of Troy was conceived in the rape of Leda
Sorry, no etymologies found.